855.206.1549 (Toll Free)
MICHAEL P. ROBERTSON, PARTNER
Michael is an experienced trial attorney with a focused practice on complex commercial litigation, business disputes, fiduciary litigation, and accountant malpractice matters. He has a national litigation presence and has litigated cases in state and federal courts across Colorado and the country. Prior to attending law school, Michael worked as an accountant for a Fortune 500 company. He utilizes his unique accounting background while working closely with his corporate clients and case experts oftentimes on highly-technical matters involving corporate finance, accounting, and tax law issues. His representative clients include a diverse array of corporations, ranging from start-up businesses to Fortune 500 oil and gas companies and the Denver Broncos Football Club. Regardless of the gravity of the matter before him, Michael consistently provides efficient representation to his clients from the outset of litigation through trial or appeal.
Michael is a leader in Colorado law and has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Colorado Super Lawyers Magazine for the past three years. He is active in alumni organizations and was appointed to the University of Miami School of Law Young Alumni Committee in 2015. Michael earned his law degree from the University of Miami School of Law in Coral Gables, Florida, where he received the Dean’s Achievement Award and focused his studies in the area of tax law.
Michael P. Robertson’s representative experience includes:
- Served as litigation counsel in Reilly Pozner’s representation of the National Organization of Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Associations of America, 35 individual state life and health insurance guaranty associations, and a Texas Special Deputy Receiver in highly complex litigation against multiple national banks, accounting firms, and other institutional and individual defendants which resulted in significant recoveries through settlements and a jury verdict of $391 million against PNC Bank. The litigation arose out of a multi-state fraud perpetrated by a prearranged funeral service provider and its affiliated life insurance companies. Plaintiffs’ claims included negligence and breach of fiduciary duty against the bank trustees, accounting malpractice against the auditing firms, and RICO claims against the former officers and directors. In addition to assisting in the preparation of every cross examination, Michael also presented key witnesses at trial. Michael will play a lead role in the remand proceedings of this case in 2018.
- Defended DCP Midstream, a large natural gas transportation and processing company, in a multimillion-dollar breach of contract dispute involving significant oil and gas accounting issues. Michael served in a lead role as case manager on this matter, overseeing all discovery efforts, pre-trial briefing, and trial strategy issues. DCP received a favorable jury verdict following a six-day jury trial, with Michael cross-examining many of the opposing parties’ expert and fact witnesses.
- Represented the Denver Broncos Football Club in a variety of matters, including disputes with former ticket holders. In addition to serving as litigation counsel to the Broncos, Michael also routinely advises the club on general organizational matters and drafts policies for the club’s organizational use and dissemination.
- Served as lead trial counsel to Timberline Tax Group in a complex trade secret and non-compete dispute. Michael’s work on this case resulted in his clients obtaining a favorable pre-trial settlement.
- Participated in confidential representation of a Fortune 500 company to conduct an investigation relating to potential internal controls failure and misreporting to an outside auditor.
- Complex Civil and Commercial Litigation
- Business Disputes
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Banking Litigation
- Accountant Malpractice
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law
Dean’s Achievement Award
- B.A., Louisiana State University
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Colorado
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- American Legion Citizenship Award
- Rising Star by Colorado Super Lawyers (2016, 2017, 2018)
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- Young Alumni Committee, University of Miami School of Law
- Denver Bar Association
- Boulder Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Michael Robertson listed in Denver Business Journal’s People on the Move
- Michael Robertson Selected for Young Alumni Committee
- Dan Reilly Quoted in Law 360 Article “PNC Bank Hit with $391M Jury Verdict in Funeral Scam Case”
- RP Partner Dan Reilly Referenced in TribLive Article Titled “Jury Orders PNC to Pay $491M in Collapse of Prepaid Funeral Company”
- RP Partner Dan Reilly Quoted in The Examiner Article Titled “$491 Awarded in Funeral Home Fraud”
- RP Case Discussed in St. Louis Business Journal Article Titled “PNC to Appeal $350.5 Million Order for Trustee Role in Prepaid Funeral Scam”
- RP Trial Covered in The Columbus Dispatch Article Titled “PNC Must Pay $391 Million in Lawsuit Over Prepaid Funerals”
- RP Trial Verdict Discussed in ABC News Article Titled “Jury Awards $491M in Damages in Prearranged Funeral Case”
- RP Case Covered in ABA Journal Article Titled “Federal Jury Awards $491M in Trial Over Prepaid Funeral Scheme”
- RP Case Discussed in Kansas City Business Journal Article Titled “Jury Awards $490M in St. Louis Funeral Scam Case”
- RP Case Subject of St. Louis Business Journal Article Titled “$490 Million Judgment in Prearranged Funeral Civil Case”
- RP Case Covered in Reuters Article Titled “U.S. Jury Orders PNC Bank to Pay $391 Mln in Funeral Scam Case”
- RP Partner Dan Reilly Interviewed in Denver Business Journal Article Titled “Denver Law Firm $491 Million Judgment in St. Louis Civil Case”